Can't remember your Windows XP
Here is a tip that will get you back in, even if you are not a computer
- Restart your computer.
- Before the Windows boot screen appears
(i.e. when it is completely blank), Press F8.
- You will be be prompted with menu, listing
- Select Start Windows in Safe Mode.
- Click through several guiding screens until you reach the
familiar 'Welcome' screen.
- The screen resolution may be much lower than your normal
account resolution. This is OK. Proceed to the next step.
- Locate the icon for the Administrator user. Typically,
there should be no password for
- Logon as the Administrator.
- Press Yes at the prompt asking if you
would like to continue using Safe Mode.
- Proceed to the User Settings control panel. Now you can
any of the other passwords for users on the machine. Set the
- Restart your computer. This time don't press any keys
during the boot-up. This will let the computer startup normally.
- Login as the user for which you reset the password.
Note: This procedure covers the vast majority of cases in which you
forget your user account logon password. As seen above, it does not
require the original Windows XP CD or a recovery CD. If the
above procedure didn't help in your particular situation, please
describing your problem in detail - we may be able to help
by posting additional instructions for the more rare cases.
If you found this article helpful, please share it with
For password related tweaks and enhancements, click the browse
button (or click the search button to enter your favorite
(if you didn't find what you are looking
simply submit to us your problem description via this link